Friday, November 14, 2008

My trip last week





Last week my roommate from Iowa State got married in Charleston, SC. Great food and very nice people. When you take a trip to a new city or even a city you have been to before, it is custom to eat the food that is well known for those parts. The same food is not always served all the around the U.S. For instance...lets say you are here in Kansas City. You are probably going to eat some BBQ. If you are in Hawaii you would have a luau and get layed (thing around your neck). If you are on the upper east coast, you will eat some wonderful seafood fresh from the ocean. If you visit Iowa, you are going to eat and only eat corn and soybeans...says everyone in a big city. "Oh you are from Iowa huh...you must have grown up on a farm and eaten corn and soybeans all your life" Yes...we eat SOYbeans...in raw form. I have been caught many times by my parents sneaking into the nearby bean field for a midnight snack, because I just can't get enough of those raw SOYbeans...we also drove our combines to school everyday and milked our deer every morning. My response to the city people across the border here is..."Yer from Missoura huh...nice mullet...how long have you and your sister been married? I say that because Kansas City, MO isn't hickish at all...more like thugish. Just like Iowa...not everyone grew up on a farm. If I were truthful about the people in Kansas City, MO I would say "Hey ...you from the hood huh...nice 9 mil. pistol you got there...here's my wallet". Anyways...wow where did that come from. When one moves to Kansas, you get a brochure in the mail about how and why to dislike people from Missouri. Same with their state as well. Ok not really, but we Kansans do dislike Missouri, and they dislike us. I think they dislike us b/c we have better drinking water and better schools, and we dislike them b/c...well....b/c they can go to work during the day and then party at night and never have to change their hair due (mullet reference) and we are all just way too jealous.
























Charleston was full of wonderful food. We ate shrimp with grits and fried green tomatoes. I had a fried crab sandwich one night and we also had a shrimp boil. I was very very upset we were never served one certain Charleston dish. A few friends and I walked up and down the market looking for said food item. There was everything from Bubba Gump Shrimp Co, BBQ stands, to all kinds of southern food stands, but never one of these. One would think that going to a wedding in Charleston, that the bride and groom would hand them out as party favors but....NOPE. Not one made an appearance. One would also be safe to say that on the airplane from Atlanta to Charleston, the flight attendants would hand them out as your mid-flight snack...along with your 3.35 oz of sprite and your 8 peanuts that are supposed to last you 1 hour. You would think it would be a city law to serve one of these at every function and on every corner. I am of course talking about the Charleston Chew candy bar. What a disappointment to spend 4 days in Charleston and not once be offered the delicious chewy nougat covered in chocolate. Well...enough about chewy candy bars filled with awesomeness. Here are a few pictures from my trip for your eyes to enjoy.










The awesome nougat candy bar I wasn't served





















A pic that accidently made it look like I was poking her in the butt







The happy couple...JJ making a stupid face, and Nell must think something crazy super fun is happening off to the left.








The only thing Charleston has going for it







Me hitting on the mother of the groom (we had a quick fling in college, but nothing too serious)

















Mullet hunting in Charleston...must be visiting from Missoura




















No comments: