Friday, September 12, 2008

Welcome

This being the first attempt to "blog", I want to start out by saying Hello and Welcome. This first "blog" will explain how we got to where we are today. This could get a little long, so if you need a break just let me know.
BE AWARE, THE FOLLOWING TEXT HAS MEDICAL TERMS IN IT. PLEASE DO NOT READ IF YOU DO NOT CARE FOR WORDS LIKE "DOCTOR" OR "HOSPITAL"
If you don't know by now, we are expecting twins. Yeah crazy huh? Me of all people being allowed to procreate!!! Actually, they did try stop to me, but with no success. After many years of trying to have children, we decided to find out the reason behind our problem. I met a wonderful Urologist by the name of Dr. Susan Sweat, who performed weeks of very painfully awkward tests that were even more painful than you could ever imagine. After one of the procedures I had done, I woke up in the post-op telling Lindsey my crotch feels like it got hit by a train... and my voice was a bit higher than when I went in, but now I can finally hit those high notes that Joey sings from New Kids on the Block! After a lot of crying, cursing, and a ton of ice... she told me I was sterile. I believe the words were "You will never be able to have your own children". After a few weeks of trying to figure out why this happened me?... how did this happen to me?... and finally some more ice...we decided to proceed with the next step which was "How can we get Lindsey pregnant without me"? We then went on to the Resource Center of Kansas City in Overland Park and met with the Doctors there. We spent months looking on websites that specialize in donor "swimmers" (have to censor for the younger readers...that is you Sawyer) We finally found a donor we could both agree on... and like buying a pair of jeans from gap.com, we sent in our order. After weeks and weeks of Lindsey taking shots and all sorts of drugs that would make it illegal for her to participate in the Olympic games, it was time to take out the eggs. Before the retrieval, we decided to give it one more try to see if we can find any of my "swimmers". So...once again Dr. Sweat came to the rescue with needles and guns and (wait...having a flashback, I need a second) ..............and not even enough numbing medication to stun a fly. Anyways, long story short she found some. Now when I say some, I mean 6. Not million like most men...just 6. So after fertilizing the eggs and a lot more ice we got a call 5 days later telling us we have 2 embryos ready go. The procedure we had done puts 2 embryos in to increase the chances of pregnancy. Not wanting a spin off TV show of John and Kate plus 8, I was happy with just the 2. The Doctor put in both embryos and then we wait and wait and wait. 1 week later we go into the Doctors office and after hooking Lindsey up to the machine our Doctor says "Oh my gosh we have twins" For now we are calling them Twin A and Twin B. Please try to remember these names for later so you are not confused.
So...this pretty much brings you up to speed on how we got to where we are today... excited, nervous, crying, eating, taking lots of vitamins, and no where near enough ice!

No comments: