If you don't know what I mean when I say the Fourth "First", please scroll down and read the sit back folks blog. Then you can come back and read this one.
Unfortunately I had another first happen to me today. I was involved in my first "real" accident. I was driving my work vehicle down a road and noticed just a head of me a girl trying to get out of a parking lot to cross traffic on a four lane road. We are taught at work to always look ahead and to watch the other drivers moves. Well...I started to slow hoping she was going to wait, but ready if she didn't...but it wasn't enough. As she was looking the opposite way for traffic, she floored it. I slammed on my brakes, swerved, honked my horn, and pretty sure said something I shouldn't have. BAM...she hit my front right side and then I took a hard 90 degree turn to the right and into the curb. I am pretty sure she didn't know what she hit because she was still looking the other way when she hit me. I tried to move the truck out of the way, but I was stuck. It broke my front axle and I was toast. She ran to the truck and asked if I was alright. Which I was... I braced myself for the impact so it wasn't a huge shock to my body. As I am telling her I am fine and making sure she was ok she says "Ok...sorry but I have to get to work...bye" WAIT WHAT??? I said "Miss...you can't just leave the scene. This isn't some soft ooops I bumped you accident. This is a serious accident. The cops are already on their way" Then she says "The pos are one the way? I have to leave I don't have insurance on the car and I don't want to go to jail." After I explained to her if she fleas the scene of an accident, the cops will hunt her down and she WILL go to jail. She didn't want to at all, but she decided to stay. Well... she then proceeded to ask me to call off the cops and we will act like it didn't happen. She then tells me that it isn't even her car and it is somebodies car from work...she is just borrowing it on her lunch break. She also says to me as I am picking up her headlights off the middle of one of the most traveled roads in south KC...."Do you think if I stand on the hood and push it down a bit, that maybe the owner of the car won't even notice the damage?" Yes...I am sure she isn't going to notice the hood being raised 10 inches, the headlights being out, and the car smoking every time she turns it on...you might just get away with it!!! To make things worse...I told my work what happened and said this lady is trying to leave the scene(that isn't the "worse" part, I am glad they told the cops that because she really was trying to ditch me)...before we knew it a police chopper is over head video taping the whole thing thinking they are going to get to chase somebody. Well they finally got called off the scene and about 75 minutes after it happened, they finally pulled my wounded stallion off the road that I was blocking...which let me tell you...people do not like to me held up when it comes to traffic... I got more honks and fingers than I care to remember...then some really smart fellow in a BMW pulls up and yells..."HEY...you are holding up traffic, why aren't you moving your vehicle" Well smart feller...I don't want to move it because I like having my truck sitting at a 90 degree angle blocking traffic...Did he think I stopped there so I could fix a garage door in the middle of State Line Avenue?? Did he think he was the only one who thought of this brilliant plan? This is him thinking to himself...or what I can imagine an idiot would think about in this situation "Well... I am obviously the smartest guy in the area...I will come up with a solution...I GOT IT!!! Why don't you move the vehicle??? I am surprised nobody has stopped their vehicle in the middle of an already blocked road to tell them this??? I will save the day and they will have a parade in my honor and give me the key to the city!!" Sorry...got off track there. Anyways...she got a few tickets and I got a subpoena saying I have to be in court...not next week, not next month, but in October. OCTOBER???...I have a hard enough time remembering what day today is, let alone having to remember to show up in court in a few months...I just hope they send me a "save the date" card.
If this entry taught you anything...remember....always look ahead and assume that every car out there is going to pull out in front of you without looking...and just hope you have the bigger vehicle!! Enjoy your day.
1 comment:
Your unfortunate accident aftermath reminded me of some famous words I heard when waiting to make a left hand turn into traffic and those were "Drive it or Park it Lady"!
Aunt Nancy
Post a Comment