Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Sit Back Folks, This Could Be a Long One

First off I would like to say this will be my last blog I will ever write.....ok just kidding. Now that I got your attention I can begin.
These last few weeks we have had a couple "firsts" in the babies lives and mine. I would like to start out by saying I have 3 rules that I try to follow. These 3 rules are simple and I stick with them at all the times when writing a blog to you wonderful wonderful people...1) No Politics 2) No Religion 3) No things that make people sad. I will break one or two of those rules on my first part here, but it is only to let you know what has been going on in our family the last couple weeks. Now after saying that I would like to bring up my first topic of "firsts".

First "First" (I am not good at writing sad stories. The next paragraph is how I remember Arlene. You can tell how people feel about a person by the stories they tell after they are gone. This is how I remember Arlene and she will be missed by many)
Last week the boys attended their first funeral. Lindsey's grandmother Arlene passed away last Tuesday. The pastor talked about how she lived a very full 88 years of life to which she lived them her way...and if it wasn't her way...she let you know it. For those who knew her, you know what he was talking about.
For those who didn't know her, let me give you some insight. She is the person who when playing cards at Christmas with her grandkids, would get very upset and not want to play anymore when she was losing. BUT...when she was winning she let you know she was winning and would rub it in your face as much as she possibly could.
Whether you knew Arlene for 5 minutes or 5 years, she always treated you like a friend and was always glad to have a conversation with you about how good the Huskers are this year. It was a big shock to us all to see her go, but we all know she is in a better place....telling somebody else about how good the Huskers are this year.


Second "First".
We have our first signs of teething. Eli seems to be the winner in this department, but we are sure Baker is not far behind. Things with the boys have been pretty easy going lately. They are enjoying their time at daycare with all the other babies. We had our second round of shots Monday...which if you have ever gone with your babies to get shots, you know how ugly it can get. Now just like everything else...take it times 2 and you have our lives!!! It actually wasn't too bad. Baker wanted to sleep, so as soon as the shots were done he let the nurses know how upset he was for about 10 seconds, then decided to take a nap. Eli on the other hand saw what was coming and starting yelling before he was even out of his car seat. To make things worse, the nurse who was taking him out of his car seat forgot to loosen up the straps. As she pulled up he got stuck and her fingers drug across his skin and kind of pinched his chubby chubby arms. Well...later that evening Lindsey glanced at his arm and it looking like he got in a fight with a somebody on the play ground. He has some bruises where she accidentally pinched him. We feel bad for the little guy, but he seems to think it is just going to "up" his "street cred" at daycare. He has come up with some story ending in..."and that's when they pulled me off of him and we ran from the cops" Boys will be boys I guess.

Third "First"
There are a number of things that I am deathly afraid of. 1) Drowning 2) Getting eaten alive by an animal 3) WASPS ...I get the shivers just thinking about that last one.
I have spent the 28 years of my life running like a little girl at sight or sound of a wasp. I don't care what I am doing at the moment of realization one is around, but I will turn and run and shiver like I just saw a ghost....actually I would rather see a ghost. I am scared of seeing them, hearing them, and getting stung by one. Today my neighbor was "letting" me mow his yard for him and I bumped his fence. As I straighten out the mower a few "bugs" flew into my hair. I had my headphones on, so I could not hear that awful awful noise they make. So I put my hand in my hair to get them out and I got stung on the very tip of my pointer finger. This was he first time I have ever been stung by one, and let me tell you...it was everything I thought it would be. My first thought was...."hhhmmm why does my finger hurt" then I looked at my finger and I see a wasp stinging the crap out of it and I am pretty sure he had a smile on his face. I flicked him off and ran home to do what every grown man would do when facing his biggest fear...Suck it up.....and call his wife to complain about the pain he is going through and ask her to kiss his finger over the phone to make it feel better. It hurt soooo bad it I was bouncing in the air like I just cut my hand off. My finger started to swell and I thought..."Great, so this is how it all ends" Since this being my first time being abused by a wasp, I had no idea if I was allergic or not. So I sat in the bathroom looking at my face expecting it to look like a balloon. The good news is it never got there. I had pain running up my wrist, then to my forearm, then it stopped at my elbow. What sucks about getting a wasp sting on the tip of your finger, is you use the tip of your pointer finger for everything...so every time I touched something, the pain rushed back into my hand. I went to the garage, grabbed my wasp spray and marched back over there to face my fear and give them a taste of 10,000 volts of liquid electricity.......from 50 feet away or whatever the max range of the spray was. I am lucky I only got stung once, b/c I killed what seemed to be millions of them....it ended up being only 7 or 8. After I knocked the nest down with my weed eater and proceeded to jump up and down on it, I thought to myself..."I am a MAN and they are little flying bugs with freaky looking tails....they aren't so tough after all" Then I heard a BUZZZZZZ and I turned and ran towards the house like the MAN that I am.

No comments: